Sunday, March 29, 2020

End of semester announcement

Well, here we are - at the end of March, and still unable to get back to normal. It goes without saying, that we are not going to return this semester, but wanted to reach out anyway. I am sad, for many reasons - this has been hard for the directors and me. We wanted to get back to rehearsals and prepare for a recital.

I sent out a video to the Bitty Beats families, and I hope they will share it with others. It is also posted on our Encore fb page, the Lawrence Learning Link, and my personal fb page. Emily has gone to a few nursing facilities, singing to residents from outside their windows. She is able to teach her private lessons remotely, but much of her business has come to a halt. Three of my five kids are self-employed - it has been tough on many.

Mr. Swisher and I talked this morning, he is working from home, on instruments that he took home when Meyer Music closed. He mentioned that he was running out of paper towels, so my oldest son, who lives a few blocks away, is taking him a few rolls today. He needs them for his work, with all the chemicals he uses. This virus has now reduced our conversation to the differences in various brands of toilet paper. Wow, how times have changed. I am pretty sure that Mr Swisher and I have never had that discussion before. 

Mr. Gaskin and I have conversed over text this week. All seems to be well at his house. Since  we are neighbors, I can see him in his kitchen - it may sound like I stalk him, but I don't.  His sweet daughter, Sarah, has come back home, so I know he is enjoying having her around. I checked on Buttons, and all is well with him. HIs wife is an essential employee, at a bank, which only allow drive through transactions. Keep all those that are deemed "essential" - in your thoughts and prayers.

I am working remotely from home, as is my husband. He teaches middle school social studies, online - so he is plenty busy. My work is certainly easier when face-to-face, but it is amazing how we all adapt, when called to. Those who know me well, know that I lost one of my dogs this week - on my birthday, no less. It seemed compounded by the state we are all in. I had to say my goodbyes at the door, only pets and personnel allowed inside. It has been hard, but I decided to get busy checking on people, seeing what they might need, and that has lifted my spirits. Once I can get some elastic, I plan on making masks for medical and essential workers.

I miss you all. I miss hearing the music, watching you all visiting and enjoying each other's company. I miss helping a sewing student finish a project that she was very excited about. I miss being and feeling normal. I appreciate you all. If you would like, shoot me a message about how and what you are doing. 

You all take care and stay safe.

Martha